For Lord’s Day, January 27, 2013
First, a reminder we’ll be watching Sherwood Pictures’ “Courageous” tonight at the Church in the Fireside Room. Bring popcorn to share. Remember, these Homemaker events are for fellowship for the WHOLE covenant family at PECA (youth, singles, young adults, etc.). Hope to see you all there.
Speaking of covenant homes, I’d like to share an email Elder Huffmaster sent to me this week for your family’s edification:
Thought you might like this. They say a family should enjoy at least 1 meal a day together. How much more important that they should have at least one spiritual meal a day together. I have found family worship to be so important because it allows the family to gather and have that spiritual meal.
From: “Grace Gems” <email@example.com>
Date: Jan 21, 2013 2:07 PM
Subject: Family devotions
Today’s Puritan Audio Devotional:
Family devotions (J.R. Miller)
Hearts that are drawn together at God’s feet every day in family devotions–cannot drift very far away from each other. The domestic frictions of the day are forgotten–when all voices mingle in the same heavenly song. As the tender words of Scripture fall with their gracious counsels–all feeling of unkindness melts away. The family altar in the midst–wondrously hallows and sweetens the whole home. Besides, the family altar . . .
puts new strength into every heart,
comforts all sorrows,
is a shield against temptation,
smoothes out the wrinkles of care,
inspires strength for burden-bearing,
quickens every holy sentiment, and
keeps the fires of devotion burning on every heart’s altar.
May your family feast on Christ together often:
- And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. (Deuteronomy 6:5-8)
- … Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him. (Genesis 18:18-19)
- And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. (Joshua 24:15)
- Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6)
- But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 19:14).